OVERHEAD CRANE TRAINING: OPERATOR CERTIFICATION
The Overhead Crane safety course from Safety First Training is an OHSA based program that teaches about the various types of overhead cranes, pre-operation inspection, overall equipment features, safe operation procedures and hazard avoidance. Training is offered around Southern Ontario including Toronto, Mississauga, Brampton, Markham, Oakville, Burlington, Hamilton, Niagara, Kitchener, Waterloo, Cambridge. We also offer Train the Trainer courses for Overhead Crane Operator Certification.
Note – we do not provide public sessions for individuals
Want to take the Online course instead?View Online Course
Overhead Crane Training: Operator Certification
This course is designed within the parameters of the Occupational Health and Safety Act, REGULATION 851. INDUSTRIAL ESTABLISHMENTS as it pertains to overhead crane safety.
• Course Introduction
• Related Government legislation
• Overhead Crane Training Safety Video
• Responsibilities of the workers, supervisors and employers
• Training Presentation
• Safe Crane Use
• Handheld Remote Control
Train the Trainer – Overhead Crane
Our professional Train the Trainer certification course for Overhead Crane allow our clients to learn how to teach OHSA based courses directly to their employees. When individuals or groups of employees need safety training, these train the trainer programs can be more cost effective than hiring outside training companies. We will train you to be an effective Overhead Crane safety trainer for your company.
Our Train the Trainer Course Package include:
- Professional Teaching Guide
- Participant Course Handout
- Evaluation Forms
- Wall Certificate template
- Instructor Course Presentation
- Course Test and Answer Key
- Course Video Supplement
- Wallet Card template
Overhead Crane Training Safety Tips
Fatalities or serious injuries can occur if overhead cranes are not inspected and properly used. Fatalities may also occur when workers are struck by a load, or pinched between the load and another object.
The following are some safety tips for overhead crane operators to follow while operating the crane and moving the load:
- Do not engage in any activity that will divert your attention.
- Do not lift, lower, or transport a load with the crane or hoist until all personnel are clear of the load and the load’s path.
- Verify that the load, crane and hoist will clear all obstacles before moving or rotating the load.
- Do not move loads over personnel.
- Do not lift, lower, or transport personnel by means of the crane, hoist, trolley, hoist hook, or load.
- Slowly inch the hook into engagement with the load to eliminate wire rope slack and reduce impact loading of the crane and hoist.
- Avoid unnecessary inching and quick reversals of direction.
- Lift the load only a few inches to verify that the hoist braking system is functioning properly before continuing with the lift.
- Avoid swinging of the load or hoist hook when the bridge trolley or hoist is traveling.
Safety – Always!
- Work in compliance with your provincial Occupational Health and Safety Regulations
- Read and follow your employer’s procedures for Health and Safety
- Read and follow any equipment Operator’s and Manufacturer’s Manual
- Wear proper Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)
- Adhere to equipment lifting capacity information and warning signs
- Conduct pre-shift inspections, pre-start up inspections, visual inspections
- Report the absence or defect in any equipment or protective device
- Test all equipment functions to ensure proper working condition
- Use the equipment for what is was intended and designed for
- Ensure you are properly trained and authorized to use the equipment
Click here for a general overhead crane safety video
Up to 5 hours, depending on participants’ experience levels
A passing grade of 75% is required in order to receive a certificate”.
Upon successful completion of this course, participants will receive a PDF wall certificate and PDF wallet card for their records