CHAINSAW SAFETY & OPERATOR TRAINING
This chainsaw safety (Ontario) online course is designed for the forestry industry to teach the safe and proper techniques of using a chainsaw, mandatory protective equipment, chainsaw components, proper servicing and maintenance, safe tree-cutting techniques, dangers and hazards, operator health and safety. Participants who successfully pass this online course will be able to download and print their certificate of completion.Buy Now
Chainsaw Safety (Ontario) online course | Operator Training
- Safety requirements when handling a chainsaw
- Personal Protective Equipment
- Required equipment
- The mechanics of the chainsaw
- The proper method of felling trees
- Various cutting techniques
60 minutes (approx.)
Reviews and knowledge testing are conducted throughout this Chainsaw Safety (Ontario) Online Course. Questions are designed to reinforce the information that was presented and must be completed by each participant to move through the program. A mark of 80% must be attained to receive a certificate of completion. Each participant will be allowed to repeat the course two additional times if the course pass mark has not been met on the first attempt.
CERTIFICATE OF COMPLETION
Participants who successfully pass the Chainsaw Safety (Ontario) Online Course will be directed to print out their certificate of completion.
This course certificate is valid for 3 years from the date of course completion.
GENERAL INFORMATION AND TIPS
- Always ensure that you are never working alone while operating a chainsaw. If you must work alone, always make sure that someone knows where you are working and when you are expected to return.
- Never operate a chainsaw while standing on a ladder.
- Always start the chainsaw while it is safely on the ground.
- Vehicles should never be parked close to the tree felling area.
- Never operate the chainsaw above shoulder height.
- Use extreme caution if high or gusty winds or lightning.
- Always wear personal protective equipment.
- Do not operate the chainsaw using an insecure stance or footing.
- Always use the appropriate sized chainsaw for the job required.
- Never use a chainsaw with only one hand.
- Always have the chain brake engaged if you are required to walk any distance.
- Never use drugs or alcohol before or while operating a chain saw.
- Never turn your back on a falling tree.
- Never limb a log while standing on the downhill side of the log.
- Never start the chainsaw closer than ten feet from the gas filling area.
- Never leave a tree partially cut and still standing.
- People must be warned in advance if a tree is going to be felled in their area.
- Never operate a chainsaw if you are tired or not feeling well.
- Never operate a chainsaw if you are not properly trained
PROPER CHAINSAW PPE
Proper safety clothing and personal protective equipment (PPE) must be worn to lessen the chance of injury.
The following personal protective equipment and clothing are a must when operating a chainsaw.
- CSA approved Safety Glasses with side shields, goggles or face shields.
- CSA approved foot protection with cut resistant materials.
- CSA approved hard hat head protection.
- CSA approved hearing protection.
- Leather gloves with ballistic nylon on back.
- Leg protection clothing (pants or chaps) with sewn in ballistic nylon pads.
- Know when to use fall protection equipment such as harnesses, belts and lanyards.
Chainsaw safety, operation and maintenance video from STIHL USA
Chainsaw blade sharpening tips from STIHL USA
Click here to view our blog post on Chainsaw SafetyBuy Now